As a member of the Society of Permanent Cosmetics some of the information herein is to be credited to their site.
- Are you tired of refreshing your lip liner and/or lipstick several times during the day?
- Do the current all day lipstick brands make your lips dry or chapped?
- Would you like a professional opinion regarding the appearance of your lips and what can be accomplished with permanent cosmetics toward a more symmetric and fuller appearance?
- Are you aware that in 2004 the FDA banned cow brains in lipsticks due to mad cow disease? One has to wonder what else is in this pretty container that we would not find ingredient attractive if we were just made aware.
- Do you wish you had some of the natural coloring you had when you were younger?
If so, Permanent Cosmetic Lip Liner is for you!
A natural appearing permanent cosmetic lip liner can be applied to give more definition, correct uneven lips, which will result in a fuller appearance.
Full lip color can be applied in either a natural hue or a more vivid one. Wear your permanent lip color alone in a natural tone or apply different shades of lipstick over your permanent lip color for those occasions when you prefer a more dramatic look–you will find that the color lasts much longer when applied over permanent cosmetic lip color than it did to a bare lip.
Because the coloring and shape of the natural lip is unpredictable, it is common to attend a consultation before an appointment for the actual procedure is scheduled. At the consultation, your color and shape objectives and probability of success with permanent cosmetic pigments and techniques will be discussed.
Important* if you have ever had a cold sore or fever blister on the lips and if so what seems to be the trigger to this condition. If your answer to this question is “yes,” you will in all likelihood be requested to speak to your medical provider regarding a medication formulated specifically for a breakout, an antiviral medication.
- Lips will appear very bright and color will be a lot more vibrant for a few days after the initial procedure and dryness associated with the healing process requires the application of a moisturizing product. As with any artistic appearance enhancement service, techniques will vary from technician to technician.
Machines Used To Achieve Permanent Lip Color
The actual permanent cosmetic lip procedure varies depending on the device used by your technician. The choices are:
- the coil machine
- the linear device (the Neo Tat)
- the digital rotary machines
- the permanent cosmetic pen rotaries
- the manual device.
All, when used in accordance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Bloodborne Pathogens guidelines, are safe. (We meet all OSHA requirements)
Our facility uses these state of the art machines below:
Skin Master Medi Touch
and the Nouveau Contour
The Lip Procedure Process
Some technicians will use a pre-procedure anesthetic, some do not. If a pre-procedure anesthetic is used and the technician is not a physician or working under the direction of a physician, it will be an over-the-counter (OTC) level anesthetic which has proved to be quite effective.
*We know how important comfort is and use pre numbing cream and through out the procedure apply anesthetics with lidocaine.
- The work table will be assembled with one-time-use accessories. If a pre-procedure anesthetic was applied, it is removed in a timely manner in accordance with manufacturer instructions, a sterilized needle will be opened, the needle assembled into the device and the procedure begins.
A follow up appointment is normally scheduled in four to eight weeks, depending on the age of the client, to determine how the lip tattoo procedure healed and if any further work is needed.
Information below credited to Sally Hayes Permanent Cosmetics
If you want to look your best at all times, it may be time for a change from your traditional makeup routine. Discuss your lip design and color objectives with your chosen technician. Much of what can be offered to you in the way of color change will be based on your natural lip coloring. Although natural is always recommended, there are a variety of colors available for discussion.
Sometimes lip liner alone can look artificial.
- If the color complements your skin tone or you really like the look of a definitive line around the lips, then lip liner may be a good choice for you.
- If your choice of color contrasts with your skin tone, a full lip color procedure is a better choice.
Remember, small lips will only look smaller with a defining lip liner so a full lip procedure is recommended in this case as well.
Natural colors will look like your natural lip, but better, just as if you were born with luscious lips. You can always put opaque lipstick over any permanent lip color to change your look, depending on your outfit, mood or special occasion.
Lip colors that depart from your natural lip color (or slightly darker or lighter) should be discussed with your technician at a consultation.
It is impossible to provide all important information without a specific client’s lip and a target color to discuss. Because lips have a natural cool undertone, matching a specific desirable color is dependent upon the canvas the pigment is to be applied to.
When you choose permanent lip color, you need to consider how cool your lips are, and the lighter your natural lip color, the more options you have available. Choosing the wrong color, or a color too dark is a common mistake and extremely difficult to repair.
Choosing the right color takes a skilled and experienced makeup artist. In addition, if your lips are naturally too dark, you can lighten them, or warm them up to enhance your features.
Picture credit to Sheila Bella PMU
The final shape of the lip is incredibly important.
- For clients who want to have larger appearing lips, usually going to the very outer limits of the vermilion edge of the lip itself is sufficient.
- Extreme caution must be taken when extending the color into the surrounding skin. This is rarely recommended and if a person is a good candidate for this, they must work with a very experienced technician.
- Minor alterations to the lip line to attain symmetry are routine. The technician will draw on the template to following during tattooing and show the client before proceeding.
Post Lip Procedure
- Immediately after the tattooing process the color will appear very vibrant.
- Within a few days the outer layer of the tattooing will exfoliate.
- Many times this exfoliation process is inconsistent within the lips.
It is important not to disturb the on-going exfoliation process by picking at portions of the lip that have not begun this process.
After approximately a week, the majority of the residual lip tattooing has exfoliated off the entire lip area.
- The lips are somewhat tender and often remain that way to the touch for several weeks. This is why it is recommended to wait a minimum of six to eight weeks before the follow up procedure. Within this waiting period the lips will appear different. They may take on a “frosty” appearance for a few days off and on.
- They may appear more vibrant if the body is unusually warm (as an example after a warm shower.)
- Conversely they may appear duller if the body is unusually cool (as an example if you live in an area that has a cold climate or on a ski trip, etc.) Within the six-eight week period the lip color settles in and the color seen is the final color resulting from the lip tattoo process. When you return to your technician for the follow up appointment the appearance of the color and design will be discussed and adjustments made as appropriate.
Finally, remember that permanent lip color may fade considerably in seven to ten years –sooner with a lot of sun exposure. You will almost always need at least one touchup appointment and expect two.
Important*- Be sure to tell your technician if you suffer from cold sores (herpes simplex).
You must protect all permanent cosmetic color from the sun so choose a lip balm that is petrolatum free and has a good sun protection factor.
There are many splendid advantages and reasons to treat yourself to permanent lip color, including never having to worry about your lipstick leaving stains on the side of a cup while you’re enjoying your coffee, or disappearing while you’re having a meal with friends.
Many happy clients have talked about how often they took a bite out of a sandwich and discovered lipstick on the bread, and realized they wound up eating their lipstick, but with permanent lip color, this is no longer a concern.
Other Benefits of Permanent Lip Color:
- Add missing bow above your lip
- Add shape to your mouth
- Eliminate lipstick “bleeding” into fine lines around your mouth
- Give your lips a fuller look if they appear too thin
- Smooth vermillion edges by tattooing shape and defining borders
- Eliminate worry about needing to touch- up lipstick
As we age, our facial features begin to lose color. When this begins to happen with our lips, the color starts to fade, the vermillion edges appear to lose definition, and we start looking pale without lipstick. Permanent lip color instantly alleviates this sign of aging by providing you with fuller looking, and beautifully colored lips that look very natural giving you a more youthful appearance.
Unlike the rest of your facial features, the lips are not considered skin, but very thin tissue and they are ultra-sensitive.
It is imperative for you to have a professional with knowledge and experience to perform this pigmentation procedure.
Sally never recommends permanent lip liner alone which she believes leaves you with a “ring around the mouth” look due to the fact that the thin tissue comprising your lips is uniquely different from the skin outside the vermillion edges of the lips. This unique difference prevents the color from being absorbed the same; which, in addition to the ring around your mouth, often leaves you feeling as if your lipstick is smeared when you look closely.