What Is A Chemical Peel, Do I Need One?
A chemical peel uses acid to remove layers of damaged or aged skin, revealing newer, softer, younger-looking skin. The acids used range from very mild to very strong. Mild alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) can be used to remove a very minimal layer of skin, thus rejuvenating dull-looking skin. Stronger acids like trichloracetic acid (TCA) or phenol can be used for deep peels to correct acne scarring, serious pigmentation problems or fine wrinkles.
A very minor peel can be performed by a trained esthetician and performed in medispas, boutique’s etc. Deeper peels, especially if done in conjunction with another facial rejuvenation procedure should be performed in a sterile environment such as hospitals or dr’s offices.
Not Everyone Is A Good Candidate For A Chemical Peel
Contact us first for a consultation and skin analysis. During the consultation we perform a full evaluation of your skin and its overall health, including its elasticity. At this time we will go over the types of chemical peels we offer and explain which approach would be best for your skin.
So What’s Next?
- Before the peel, your skin will be cleansed and toned to remove natural surface oils.
- We then gently apply the chemical to your skin. Each peel has a desired time length that they stay on the skin before being neutralized (removed). Some peels require more than one application completed in layer and time intervals.
- The last step is to wipe the skin clean and treat with a moisturizer or antibacterial ointment.
What are the risks of a chemical peel?
- Peel may go deeper than intended and damage or scar the skin
- May contract a bacterial or viral infection
- Develop a cold sore or fever blister before you heal may spread to the whole treated area and cause scarring.
- Hyperpigmentation (excessive coloration) and hypopigmentation (pale areas) can be a problem after a chemical peel, especially for darker-skinned people or those who do not take proper care of their face after the peel.
- Following all your physician’s instructions will help maximize your outcome and minimize the risks.
We treat can treat clients of all ages, most ethnicities, both men and women that suffer from damaged skin. Our peels range from superficial to deep.